Friday, August 2, 2013

Best Guess for Reaching Katahdin

I suppose I'm close enough to be able to take a shot at what date I'm going to summit Katahdin. A lot still depends on the weather (and it's raining as I type this), but I should reach Baxter State Park by the 14th.

I'm about 88 miles from Monson, which is the start of the Hundred Mile Wilderness, and I'll update my guess when I get there.

Thank you again to everyone who has followed the blog and supported me. I'm reminded daily that nobody could hike the trail without the help and good wishes from friends, family, and total strangers. I'm very grateful to you all, I couldn't have made it this far without you!

A sad note:  I guess by now most of you have heard about Gerry "Inchworm" Largay, the hiker who has been missing since the 22nd of July. I'm in the area where they have been searching for her, and I met her husband yesterday. The search is still ongoing, but it's getting less and less hopeful. There are spots on the trail where a hiker could fall that are nearly impossible to reach, and those spots are about the only places that haven't been searched. My thoughts and prayers, and those of everyone on the trail, are with her family. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about the missing hiker!! So Sad!

    May you continue on to the top of the Mountain, Rick, with all our Best Wishes again!! God Bless!!

    Love Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete